40 minutes walking from the village of San Roque De Cumbaza we will reach the viewpoint of the 'Cordillera Escalera' conservation area. The viewpoint runs parallel to a pristine clear river on the other side, a magical river full of rock pools and small waterfalls. If we continue on for a further hour we will meet a very special place where Anakiwi River joins with the larger River Cumbaza. We will have to cross the river several times, quite an adventure.
Search for Iron Oxide pigment for painting
Flowing from the mountains is a very odd bright yellow river, where we can collect an Ocher. Iron Oxide formations could be as old as 3,700 million years old and are thought to have formed in seawater as the result of oxygen production by Photosynthetic Cyanobacteria.
- 9 am: Arrive in the village of San Roque De Cumbaza, stock up on water and snacks. Begin our hike to the lookout point of Cordillera Escalera.
- 10 am: lookout point where we can see the views of the Cordillera Escalera and Tarapoto city. Continue our walk where we have to cross the river several times, which can be quite intense in the rainy season in which case we will need a guide to help you cross.
- 11.30 am: Reach the point where Anakiwi River meets the Cumbaza. Swim in the many rockpools, picnic lunch in nature.
- 12.30 pm: Optional to search for natural pigments in the mountains.
- 1pm: Begin the hike back to the village of San Roque
- 3pm: Arrive in the village, coffee and cake then journey back to Tarapoto.