Accommodation - You can choose between Sachaqa Centro De Arte and Depura Selva Hostel' Sachaqa is based a short walk from the village center. Experience en eco-arts community situated in the forest. If jungle life may be a little overwhelming for you, enjoy your stay in comfortable hostel Depura Selva, where you can sleep in the village.
Sachaqa Centro De Arte, private house
Depura Selva Hostel in the village of San Roque.
If you would like us to include food in your package, please let us know.
Day 1: Settle into your lodgings.
Introduction to the village of San Roque and tour of the village, to get to know the best local shops and river beaches.
Day 2: ceramics in the Kechwa Lamista community
1-hour walk to the Indigenous village of Chunchiwi, a course in the preparation of clay ready to make your ceramic bowl. Petrona is very welcoming and friendly. Collect natural pigments on the way back, there are some amazing oranges and yellows. After lunch, we can swim in the river and collect more pigments by the river.
- 9 am: Choice of preparing your own breakfast in your kitchen or breakfast in the village.
- Visit a local shop where we can stock up on water and snacks for your hike.
- 9.30 am: Walk to the village of Chunchiwi, the path to the village is not sheltered from the sun so bring with you a good sun hat and protect your skin.
- 10.30 am: Start your ceramic class at the home of Petrona. Petrona is an excellent teacher for beginners, she is patient and kind.
- 12.00 pm: Walk back to the village – the way back to San Roque is all downhill, there are amazing views of the Cordillera Escalera, so bring your camera.
- Collect natural pigments on the way back to the village.
- 1 pm: Swim in the River Cumbaza to refresh. look for natural pigments.
- 2 pm: Lunch in the village – Chicken, beans, and rice is the traditional food in the village. If you would like Yucca Rellena ( yucca filled with vegetables or chicken) or have any special diet requirements please let us know when you book your tour.
- 3 pm: Tour of the village and we can buy local products, sacha inchi seeds, cacao (raw chocolate) and local coffee. There are many murals in the village painted by the artists of Sachaqa.
- 5 pm: Dinner in the home of Cenida – Cal De Gallina, a traditional soup made with farmed chicken.
Day 3: Learn how to make found pigments into paint.
- Free time in the morning
- 11 am: Searching for natural pigments by the River Cumbaza.
- 12.30 pm: Choice of preparing your own lunch or lunch in the village.
- 1.30 pm: In the studio of Sachaqa Centro De Arte, learn how to make the pigments into the paint. Trina Brammah – can teach you a few painting techniques to help you get the best out of these subtle colors. Trina will talk to you about her visionary art and art process. https://trinabrammah.wixsite.com/visionaryart
Day 4: Indigenous village of Avinacion and chumbe weaving
- 8.30 am: Breakfast
- 9.15 am: Drive in a 4 x 4 car, on a dirt road to the village of Avinación.
- 10.15 am: Welcoming drink.
- 10.30 am: Make a Chumbe bracelet with local women.
- 12.30 pm: Lunch in the homes of the local people. There are three traditional dishes you can choose from; Inchicapi – a peanut type soup with chicken, and Cal De Gallina – chicken soup, or beans, rice, and egg. All food is collected from the local chacra/farms in the village.
- 2.30 pm: Walk back to the village of San Roque De Cumbaza passing communities along the way, views of the Cordillera Escalera.
- 4.30 pm: We can buy refreshments, alcoholic drinks, snacks and ice cream in the local shop.
- 5 pm: Dinner in the village.
Day 5: Relax by the River Cumbaza
On your last day, you can enjoy our river beaches, before your journey back to Tarapoto.
Ready to find out more?
Drop us a line today for more information and prices.
Ready to find out more?
Drop us a line today for a free quote!