Welcome to the village of San Roque De cumbaza, make yourself at home in your lodging of choice.
Day 1: Learn to paint using pigments found in Amazonian rivers
- 9 am: Arrive at the village of San Roque De Cumbaza. We will send a motor taxi to pick you up from the airport or your hotel.
- Settle into your lodgings.
- Swimming in the river Cumbaza, collect natural pigments, experiment with drawing on the rocks.
- Lunch in the village: Chicken, beans, and rice, Yucca Rellena ( yucca filled with vegetables or chicken) or have any special diet requirements please let us know when you book your tour.
- 1.30 pm: Short walk to Sachaqa Centro De Arte. Learn how to make the pigments into the paint. Trina Brammah - can teach you a few painting techniques.
- Free time
- 5 pm: Dinner in the village.
Day 2 - Trip to Wayku in Lamas learn how to make plant dyes with indigenous artisan Gemina.
There are two very different areas to explore in Lamas. At the top Lamas feels more like a quaint European town and actually houses a castle built by an Italian millionaire. Then a few minutes downhill you enter Wayku a large indigenous Kechwa community. You can find some really lovely crafts and souvenirs.
- Learn how to make plants, roots and seeds into dyes. which we can make into durable paint.
- Walk around Wayku and visit the souvenir shops.
- lunch in Lamas town
- tour around lamas, if you would like to visit the castle there is an entrance fee.
- Organic local ice cream or coffee.
- journey back to San Roque.
Day 2: Ceramics in the indigenous village of Chunchiwi
- 9am: Breakfast
- Visit a local shop where we can stock up on water and snacks for your hike.
- Walk 1-hour to the village of Chunchiwi, the path to the village is not sheltered from the sun so bring a good sun hat and protect your skin.
- Start your ceramic class at the home of Petrona. Petrona is an excellent teacher for beginners, she is patient and kind.
- Walk back to the village - the way back to San Roque is all downhill, there are amazing views of the Cordillera Escalera, so bring your camera.
- Collect natural pigments along the way.
- Swim in the River Cumbaza to refresh and cool down before lunch.
- Lunch in the village
- Spend time in the studio to experiment with the natural pigments / Free Time
- 6 pm: Dinner
Day 4: (This hike is optional) Hike to the point where Añaquiwi meets the river Cumbaza in search of colors - Iron Oxide ( 3-hour hike)
Añakiwi clear river, a magical place surrounded by friendly jungle forests, where we can see many exotic birds and beautiful Blue Morpho butterflies. The path is quite steep so you would have to be of a certain fitness to do this trail.
- Begin your walk at Sachaqa Centro De Arte where we can see artists at work in the studio.
- Walk 45-mins to the viewpoint where we can see views of Tarapoto city and the 'Cordillera Escalera- conservation area.
- Walk down towards the Añakiwi river where we have an adventurous walk crossing the river several times to reach the point where Añakiwi meets the river Cumbaza.
- Picnic lunch in nature and time to swim and relax by the river.
- Visit a rock face where we will find many colored earth pigments.
- Walk back to San roque de Cumbaza.